This dish takes a little patience but you’ll be rewarded with a succulent, slightly smoky appetizer that will fool the firmest chicken haters. What we have here are pieces of chicken breast that are wrapped with bacon, skewered with pieces of pepper and grilled until the bacon fat renders, leaving you with a moist, tender chicken breast center.
This dish is versatile as it can be done on the grill or in the oven. Either way, you’re striving to render the bacon, get it crisp and hugging the chicken inside. You need seasonings, your choice of peppers to skewer with the meat and some wooden skewers.
Bacon-wrapped Chicken Skewers
(makes about 15-16 skewers)
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
wooden skewers soaked overnight in water
1 1/2 tsp. of salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
1 tsp. fresh thyme or oregano
2 bell peppers (your choice of what colour), cut into squares
16 rashers of bacon, cut in half
- Rinse your chicken breasts and pat-dry. Cut along the width of the breasts into pieces that are approx. 1 to 1 1/2 inches long. In a bowl, toss your pieces of chicken breast with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and thyme. Toss to coat well.
- Place two pieces of bacon on your work surface, slightly overlapping each other to form a wider surface. Place a piece of chicken breast at the end of a rashers of bacon and tightly roll-up. Repeat and roll-up all your pieces of chicken with bacon.
- Place the piece of pepper over the seam-end of the bacon rasher and then insert the skewer. Repeat and secure two or three bacon-wrapped chicken breasts on each skewer.
- Pre-heat your gas grill to a medium-high heat or pre-heat your oven to 375F. Brush your grill surface and if using the oven, set the rack in the middle of the oven and place your skewers on a rack with a drip tray underneath to catch the bacon drippings.
- Place your skewers on the grill over medium-high heat and sear each side of the skewers for about 3-4 mintes a side or until the bacon just starts to crisp.
- Now turn off one side of the grill and place the skewers on the side of the grill with no heat. Now finish cooking your skewers over indirect heat for another 20-30 minutes covered by the lid. If using the oven, bake for 30-35 minutes or until the bacon is crisp and brown.
- Plate with some wedges of lemon and sprinkle some sweet paprika for garnish.
If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://kalofagas.ca then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at truenorth67 AT gmail DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author.
© 2007-2010 Peter Minakis
. All rights reserved.