Bouyiourdi (Μπουγιουρντί)

May 28th, 2009 | By | Category: Appetizer, Baking, Cheese, Greek, Herbs, Meze, Olive Oil, Quick, Recipes, Spices

img_5504-1This dish (Bouyiourdi) comes from Greece’s second largest city and the capital of the province of Macedonia, Thessaloniki. Thessaloniki gets it’s name from Alexander the Great’s half-sister and much like walking in any other part of Greece, one is aware that they are walking on history.

Although the city’s main character has always been Greek, many peoples have come & gone and the city’s famed walls kept intruders out until the year 904, when pillaged by the Saracens.

Photo courtesy of Nik Papazois

Photo courtesy of Nik Papazois

Today, although not in tact but still present are these same city walls that kept Thessaloniki safe from invaders through time. One of the most charming vantage points to see Thessaloniki is from the Akropolis (Akropoleos). In Greek, Akropolis refers to the highest point in a city or town. In Thessalonki, “ta Kastra” are the city’s highest point.

Photo courtesy of Nik Papzois

Photo courtesy of Nik Papzois

As a tourist, one is extremely lucky to be given a tour by one of the locals. I know Thessaloniki well, I’ve been to Greece numerous times (this year will mark my 20th visit) but there’s always a new taverna, bar or corner of the city that only a local can show you.

Photo courtesy of Nik Papazois

Photo courtesy of Nik Papazois

Back in my visit in 1988, my good friend Niko (another Kalofaga) took me up to the “Kastra” for a late evening bite at a small “psarotaverna” (fish tavern). Before this visit, I had never been to this part of Thessaloniki. I was in awe of the wide expanse of the city and at night, I could see the lights to the far west of the city, where Esso Pappas used to be and then stretch my view all the way east to Thessaloniki’s airport and club district.

Photo courtesy of Nik Papazois

Photo courtesy of Nik Papazois

Thessaloniki’s charm, it’s people and it’s food will inspire you and your love of all things Greek. Thessaloniki’s vibrant cuisine will cement your love of Greek food. A trip up to the “Kastra” in one of the quaint, family-run tavernas would complete y0ur trip to Thessaloniki.

Photo courtesy of Nik Papazois

Photo courtesy of Nik Papazois

One specialty from Thessaloniki and a likely transport from the cuisine of the Greeks from Constantinople and Smyrni is Bouyiourdi.

This is another baked dish, similar to a Baked Feta but the two mezedes (appetizers) have subtle differences. The Baked Feta contains one slab of Feta and the intent is to have the cheese warm, soft but still in tact.img_5506

With Bouyiourdi, what you want to achieve is a mélange of gooey cheese, tomatoes, peppers and herbs. If there ever was a dish in Greek cuisine that resembles Fondue, this is it.

When in Greece, you’re likely to find this meze (appetizer) on the menus of appetizers throughout Greece. It’s popularity has expanded beyond Thessaloniki and the province of Macedonia.

Order this dish among the other array of appetizers, break some bread with family and friends and dunk, scoop and eat away.img_5512

If you can’t make it to Greece, there’s always the Greek blog route – you know I always share Greece’s finest with you. You’ll need some ripe tomato, banana (or cubanelle) pepper, Feta cheese, olive oil, some chilli flakes and another ripe, pungent white cheese.

In Greece, Bouyiourdi can be made with Feta cheese alone or combined with another white, firmer cheese known as Kasseri. Kasseri is a pale yellow cheese, it’s often also found on the Greek table and my favourite version of Bouyiourdi  includes some Kasseri in it too!

If you cannot find Kasseri, a Gruyere or Gouda or aged white cheddar would pinch-hit wonderfully here. Finally, Bouyiourdi is a meze that is “pikantiki” or spicy. To omit the heat and chilli flakes from this dish would be like asking for a Greek salad without Feta….keep the chilli’s in there!

Bouyiourdi img_5501-1

(makes 1 appetizer serving)

1 tomato, concasse (peeled and diced)

1 slab of Feta cheese

slices of Kasseri

some slices of sweet banana pepper

Boukovo (chilli flakes)

1 Tbsp. of olive oil

Greek oregano

1 small, oven-safe baking vessel

Pre-heated 400F oven

1. Pre-heat your oven to 400F. Prepare your ” mise en place”. Place half of your diced tomatoes in the bottom of your baking vessel. img_5475-2
  2. Add a layer of your Kasseri cheese slices, followed by your slab(s) of Feta cheese.
  3. Add the other half of your diced tomatoes over the Feta.
  4. Now add your remaining Kasseri slices and the green peppers.
  5. Drizzle with olive oil and finish with some chilli flakes and some dried Greek oregano.img_5477
  6. Place the cover on (or cover tightly with foil) and bake in your pre-heated oven for 20 minutes.
  7. Serve immediately with lots of crusty bread. Spoon portions onto each plate or go communal and just dunk your bread in the Bouyiourdi.img_5508

© 2009 – 2010, Peter Minakis. All rights reserved. If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://kalofagas.ca then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at truenorth67 AT gmail DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author.

53 Comments to “Bouyiourdi (Μπουγιουρντί)”

1. Happy Cook says:

Well this is sure for gooey cheesey dish.
    Looks really yummy.
    I guess Kasseri is a kind of cheese, should find out if i get them here.

Ooooooh YUM – you know I love this!
    Did something similar yesterday.

3. Wow, does that look amazing. The peppers and gooey cheese and the oregano are making me hungry! And, now I want to visit Greece more than ever.

4. Jolita says:

I love your website and your recipes!! I’ll definitely try this as it looks so close to my taste!!!

5. Irene says:

Oooh my gosh, this looks so amazing! It just really transported me to the Greek isles for a moment!

6. Ben says:

Another trip through the amazing history and cuisine of Greece. You should be a Greek tourist ambassador. I am sure a lot of people would benefit from that :-p

That dish makes my mouth water!

Well, this is really an amazing cheesy dish!
    I thought bougiourdi was a dish with several kinds of small fish cooked in tomato sauce.
    In Corfu they have a dish like the one I told you,called “bougiourdi”, also very tasty!!

This looks delicious. Add a nice glass of wine and I’d have dinner taken care of!

10. Lisa says:

This is a new dish to me. I couldn’t resist all the creamy cheese. I doubt I’ll ever make it to Greece, but I’m thankful I can bring Greek cooking into my kitchen. Thank you for continuing to share such delicious recipes with your readers.

11. athena says:

my family is from thessaloniki, but i’ve never had this! wah! must remedy that asap!

12. This dish may be a great reason to go to Thessaloniki in and of itself! Fabulous post and recipe.

13. This sounds amazing. I can’t wait to try it!

How delightful Peter! I agree…very much like a fondue. And extra chili for me please!

15. chefectomy says:

OK, you know how people comment sometime “I’m going to try this…” seriously Peter, I am making this. Fabulous post, it makes me want to go back to Greece…

–Marc

16. Martha D. says:

Peter,
    I am from Thessaloniki and love bouyiourdi (Μπουγιουρντί). The city has great food.
    Enjoy your next trip.

17. beautiful photos and beautiful food. You really bring Greece to us with your wonderful recipes.

18. Oh my stars!! I love this dish! Will have to replicate that as best I can for the BBQ at my sister’s place in T.O.! YUM!

19. My goodness… what’s better than ooey gooey cheese?! This looks delicious. I must try it.

20. elly says:

Good god this looks delicious! But then, how can anything that starts out with a slab of cheese not be?

I’ve heard of this dish but never ate this before. Anything with feta and kaseri should be good.

22. maria v says:

delicious – i can imagine how much bread i’d go through eating this one

helloooo cheese! what a satisfying dish you’ve introduced to me here, and what lovely images of greece. yep, until i make it over there in person, i’m stuck to your blog like glue. :)

Sorry… forgot to say great post – can’t wait to read your next one!

25. I’ve never had this and would love to try – the cheesy goodness with tomatoes, peppers, and herbs with crusty bread sounds super delicious! Gorgeous pictures of Thessaloniki!

26. Marta says:

What a great story and fantastic dish! I think dishes charged with centennial tradition and culture, they just taste better and with each bite you’re trasported through history and connected to your roots. Aside from the nostalgia, this looks fantastically delicious!! I would have never thought of a feta fondue! Would you reccommend a particular kind of fet for this? I like Bulgarian feta for melty things, I find it melts well. Would you use it in this dish?

27. Vij says:

Wow lovely step-by-step pic. LOoks so yummy and makes me drool.

28. David Hall says:

Peter – the mouth is drooling! Very nice. Loving the book by the way.

Cheers
    David

29. courtney says:

Now this is what I want to snack on tonight

30. this is a very special dish, it’s so nice to learn the story background about it, very informative.

I thought I’d tried every meze out there, but this one is new to me. I know I’d love it with some really good bread and a glass of wine.

32. Shambo says:

This looks fantastic. I’ve never heard of it, but I’m sure glad you wrote about it. Something new to try!

Please pass the bread … I have GOT to DIP!! When I first opened the post I thought this was a soup. Then I continued reading, and then I saw the oozing cheese … Oh My Goodness. Gotta try it.

Oh Peter! This is my idea of a perfect appetizeer. I can not wait to make this!

35. pam says:

Gooey melty cheese, what’s not to love?

36. Bren says:

you have an amazing cultural history! isn’t it great! lovely pics and great recipe. where can i find Greek oregano?

37. Kalyn says:

What a fantastic dish! You know I’d love this.

Another great sounding baked feta and tomato dish! Keep them coming. They are always so good!

39. What a gorgeous dish! All that oozey, gooey, cheesy deliciousness! You know, I never really liked feta until I started reading your blog and learned how to find the good stuff. Now, I only buy the good stuff & I love it!

Alas, I cannot get to Greece soon, so yes, I am counting on you Peter!
    LL

41. Foodjunkie says:

Love love LOVE bougiourdi! One of the best dishes made in Northern Greece. Yiam!

42. Farmer Jen says:

Yummy. I have the perfect baking crock for this meze.

43. justeatfood says:

You know you are really making me second guess my geneological roots! I really think I was meant to be Greek!!! That looks so gooey and wonderful!

44. Aliki says:

Made it last night, loved it.

45. Heidi Robb says:

[...] on the cheese front: This hot bubbling Greek cheese dish of Bouyiourdi, courtesy of Kalofagas, made a fabulous dinner with crusty bread and a green salad one night last week. Make this – [...]

46. Bonnie says:

Oh, my word, Peter, you did it again! I just had this for lunch, wonderfully flavorful. And, easy and quick. Definitely will be making this often. Thanks!

47. Dan says:

I have enjoyed reading your blog. First time posting. I finally found some kasseri so I could try this dish. It was great. I think this would be good with lots of combinations of cheese but the feta and kasseri do make it even more special.

This is a perfect starter for BBQing on the grill.

48. Jen says:

What an incredible blog you have here. Great photography and recipes. Can’t wait to try some!

49. Sharon says:

We have been looking for this recipe ever since going to Halkidiki last year and trying it – now I can make at home and remember our time back there with great fondness.

50. [...] Herbs, Lent, Meze, Mushrooms, Recipes, Vegetarian Some of you might remember my post with the classic Bouyiourdi with tomatoes, peppers and cheese – baked until everything melds together and awaits your [...]

51. [...] do eat wholewheat slice bread for toast & such but I also want to add some fiber when I eat the “good, crusty bread” you see me recommend with many recipes. Here, I offer you a riff on the artisan homemade bread but [...]

52. Иво says:

Hello, it looks really delicious, what’s the name of the psarotaverna where they served you that? I’d love to go there on my next visit.

53. Joanna says:

We had this over the summer in Greece and just loved it. wanted to recreate it and found your recipe. This Christmas eve will be the third time I am making this. So good!!!!!!