Paximadia are akin to Biscotti. My mom’s being making these for years but I haven’t had a real appreciation for them until as of late.
Paximadia are often served with coffee. They are dry and great for dunkin’. I’m a guy and baking isn’t my strong suit but I was relieved that these cookies turned out real well, were easy to make and as good as any biscotti I’ve had in a cafe.
Don’t hesitate to make lots as they hold up very well in the freezer.
Also, use them as part of a “thank you” gift to a co-worker. Buy a mug, place some Paximadia in there and wrap them with cellophane and tie it with a ribbon.
4 cups of all-purpose flour (approx. as the dough should be dense yet easy to roll).
1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup chopped almonds
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp almond extract
(preheat your oven to 350F)
- Using your hands, mix the oil, eggs and sugar, vanilla & almond extracts and incorporate well.
- Add your baking powder and flour and mix well. You should at this time have a soft dough. Add your almonds and mix again.
- Form four loaves. Using wax paper, pour a cup of sesame seeds and wrap the paper around the loaf so that the sesame seeds coat the entire loaf. Repeat this process for each loaf and place them on a cookie sheet that’s been treated with cooking spray.
- Bake on the middle rack of your oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Turn off your oven. Let cool until you’re able to safely handle them.
- Slice your Paximadia widthwise and lay them back out on the cookie sheet. Place them back in the turned-off oven for at least an hour to dry out. The residual heat of the oven will do the rest of the work.
© 2007 – 2017,
. All rights reserved.