Melomakarona (μελομακάρονα)Dec 12th, 2010 | By Peter Minakis | Category: Baking, Christmas, Dough, Featured, Flour, Greek, Greek Traditions, Honey, How To, Nuts, Olive Oil, Sweets, Syrup
I’ve already shown you Kourabiedes and now you get to see the other standard offering, Melomakarona. I’m sure you can read the ingredients list but here are the flavour tags for this simple cookie…orange, walnut, honey, clove, cinnamon….a party in the mouth!
recipe update from December 2007
(makes about 40)
For the syrup
7 cups sugar
8 cups water
2 cups honey
2 cinnamon sticks
2 wide strips of orange peel
6 -6 1/2 cups pastry flour
1 1/2 cups fine semolina flour
1 cup olive oil
1 stick of unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup brandy (Metaxa)
2 Tbsp. honey
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups orange juice
zest of 1 orange (1 Tbsp)
1 tsp. ground clove
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3 tsp. baking powder
Ground walnut topping
1 1/2 cups walnuts (roughly pounded)
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 ground clove
Pre-heated 350F oven
- You should make your syrup first. To a pot add your sugar, water, honey, orange peel and cinnamon stick and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes and then remove from the heat and allow to cool (success of recipe hinges on cool syrup and hot cookies).
- Into a large bowl, add the sugar, oil, room temp. and butter, blend with your hand mixer for 5 minutes and then add your cinnamon and clove and mix in as well. Dissolve your baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, orange zest and orange juice and honey into your brandy and pour into the bowl.
- Now add the baking powder and semolina flour into the bowl and mix with your hands. Add the pastry flour in, one cup at a time and knead in with your hands until you’ve achieved a soft, pliable dough that’s not sticky. Allow the dough to rest covered for 30 minutes.
- Using your hands, roll the dough into small balls (about the size of walnuts), then form them into oval/quenelle shaped shaped cookies.
- Take your box grater (the side used to zest) and place a cookie on top of it. Press the cookie down a bit to form a grid pattern on the top of the cookie. Repeat this process for all the cookies.
- Place your cookies on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake in a pre-heated oven (middle rack) for 30 minutes. Using a large slotted spoon or Spider, drop the hot cookies in batches into the cool syrup for 10 minutes to absorb the syrup then flip for 3 minutes on the other side. Reserve on a cooling rack and repeat until all the cookies are dunked in syrup.
- For the topping, add the above ingredients in a bowl mix well with a spoon. Brush each cookie with the remaining syrup and then sprinkle each cookie top with the walnut topping. Allow to cool.
- Store in a cool, dry container for up to a month.
Got leftover Melomakarona? Try this Cheesecake with Melomakarona crust!
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.
© 2010 – 2012, Peter Minakis. All rights reserved. If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://kalofagas.ca then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at truenorth67 AT gmail DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author.