Greek Style Gazpacho
2 cups Cretan rusks
2 Tbsp. fresh chopped Greek oregano
1/2 cup fresh parsley
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
2/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1 roasted red bell pepper, skins peeled and seeds removed
1 roasted yellow bell pepper, skins peeled and seeds removed
6 cloves of garlic
2 red onions, roughly chopped (1 1/2 cups)
1 seedless cucumber (unpeeled, seeded & chopped)
4 large, ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
3/4 cup Kalamata olives
2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 cup Greek feta, small dice or coarsely crumbled
approx. 46 oz. of V-8 or other vegetable cocktail
(depends on how thin or thick you like your soup)
salt to taste
extra-virgin olive oil
ice cube tray or shot glasses
- Using shot glasses or an ice cube tray, fill the ice cube tray to the top with olive oil or the shot glasses half-way up. Place in the freezer to harden.
- In a food processor, place the rusks, garlic, oregano, parsley and process everything until it becomes a wet paste. Now add the olive oil and wine vinegar and pulse until mixed in. Remove and reserve in a large bowl
- In the same food processor, add the cucumber, onions, tomatoes and olives and whiz until coarsely chopped. Add to the reserved bread/herb mixture in the large bowl and add the vegetable cocktail, black pepper and stir well. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt (if any) and pepper.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- For serving, ladle soup into each bowl with some cubes of feta. Take your olive oil ice cubes out of the freezer and pop one into the middle of each soup. If you used shot glasses, place them in warm water to free up the frozen olive oil. Serve cold.
. All rights reserved.