Here’s a quick and easy appetizer you can prepare with just three ingredients….puff pastry, olive paste and the eggwash for finishing. I served these at last week’s Greek Supper Club and for something that contained so few ingredients…they had a complex taste, definite umami factor from the olive paste.
Puff pastry comes in two forms…a package with two bricks that you have to roll out then there’s puff pastry that is already rolled out for you…just defrost in your fridge, unroll and use. Here in Canada, I like using the PC Butter Puff Pastry product.
Lately I’ve been enjoying this black olive paste from Nisos Importing, a new Canadian company that brings in Cretan olive oil and green and black olive paste.
Puff Pastry Twists With Black Olive Paste
(makes 32 twists)
1 package of PC Butter Puff Pastry, thawed overnight in your fridge
approx. 1/4 cup of Cretan black olive paste
1 egg, beaten
- Sprinkle some flour on your work surface place one sheet of pastry on top. Place about 1/4 cup of olive paste on the pastry and spread evenly all over the surface with an off-set spatula.
- Now place the second sheet of puff pastry over the other and lightly press down.
- Take a pizza cutter and cut 16 (1 cm) ribbons along the widest side of the pastry. Now dissect those ribbons in half and you have 32.
- Pre-heat your oven to 425F and place some parchment on a large baking tray. Carefully separate the ribbons and twist the ends in opposite directions to form a spiral and place on the tray.
- Brush the tops with eggwash and place in your pre-heated oven (middle rack) for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm or room temperature (or you can make earlier that day and reheat before serving).
. All rights reserved.