I’ve done racks of lamb at home and I’ve served over 50 people at my Greek Supper Clubs…same, consistent result – deep brown roasted colour on the outside, the aroma of garlic and herbs wafting from your kitchen and once you cut the lamb rack into chops – juicy, pink on the inside.
You may get some smoke coming out of the oven so disarm your smoke detector for this one and make sure your oven is properly calibrated.
Perfect Rack of Lamb With Greek Chimichurri
2 Frenched racks of Ontario lamb (7-8 chops per rack)
sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. sweet paprika
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. minced/grated onion
2 Tbsp. Dijon style mustard
1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
2 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
Greek- Style Chimichurri
6-8 jarred grape leaves, rinsed
1/2 cup of rinsed fresh parsley leaves, chopped
2 Tbsp. dried Greek oregano
3-4 scallions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 carrot, grated
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
water (if necessary to thin out)
- Season your lamb well with sea salt and black pepper and set aside. Now add the remaining ingredients into a food processor/blender and mix well. Pour the marinade over the lamb and rub all over the meat. Place in a deep pan, cover and refrigerate for 4 hours to overnight.
- Meanwhile, Mix all your Chimichurri ingredients in a food processor/blender and process until smooth. Adjust with salt and pepper and some water if you wish to thin it out a bit. Set aside or store in the fridge (serve room temperature with lamb.
- When you’re ready to cook your lamb, take it out of the fridge and allow about 20 minutes for it to come to room temperature. Pre-heat your oven to 525F and set the rack to the upper position, about 6 inches from the upper element in your oven.
- Cut some sheets of aluminum foil and wrap the lamb bones to protect them from burning.
- Place your lamb racks flat on a baking sheet (fat side up) and place in the oven for 20 minutes for medium doneness (I recommend using a meat thermometer as well, 135-140 medium.
- Take the lamb out of the oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before carving. Remove the foil, place the lamb on the cutting board. Lift the rack up by holding the bone and slice downwards to cut the into chops.
- Serve 3 chops per person, and spoon over Greek Chimichurri Sauce. A garlic mashed potato and some roasted vegetables are ideal sides. Pair with Papaioannou Agiorghitiko red 2007.
. All rights reserved.