Fassolakia Ladera

Jun 30th, 2014 | By | Category: Beans, Featured, Greek, Greek Wine, Herbs, Lent, Main, Olive Oil, Onions, Recipes, Spices, Vegetables, Vegetarian

minakis supper club christinas-260Greek cuisine is full of vegetarian main options and many of those being main courses that are filling, nutritious and delicious. It’s Spring and herbs are abundant at the markets and in some of your herb gardens. The main ingredient of this one-pot dish are flat, runner or pole beans. Fassolakia.

These flat beans are becoming more and more available and yes, they taste differently than your usual bean found in the market. They are tender and sweeter and I absolutely love this dish. My family also makes this dish with veal and today, as a vegetarian main course. Both are delicious and you get to decide which version you would like to cook for your family.

The other aspects of this dish that make it delicious are lots of onions and lots of fresh herbs. This dish celebrates herbs….you get parsley, you get dill and some mint to round out the flavours.

This dish is a one pot meal that when served, is always accompanied by homemade crusty bread, a plate of Feta cheese and a hearty appetite!minakis added pics-0261

Fassolakia Ladera (Φασολάκια λαδερά)

(serves 4-6)

1 kg. (or 2.2lbs.) of fassolakia (runner bean), ends snapped off

1/2 cup olive oil

3 medium onions, sliced

5 cloves of garlic, sliced

1/2 bunch of parsley, chopped

4 Tbsp. of chopped fresh mint

1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped

3 large ripe tomatoes, passed through a box grater, skins discarded (or approx. 1 cup of tomatoes puree)

4-5 whole allspice berries

1 cup of hot water

6 large potatoes, peeled and halved

salt and pepper to taste

1. In a large pot over medium heat, add your olive oil, onions and garlic and a pinch of salt. Stir to coat and cover. Cook for about 5-7 minutes or until the onions have softened. Now add the grated tomatoes and allspice berries and simmer for another 5 minutes.
  2. Now add the beans (ends snapped-off), your herbs (dill, parsley and mint), the potatoes and 1 cup of hot water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Season with some salt and pepper and cover. Simmer for about 45 minutes or until the beans are tender and the potatoes have cooked. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
  3. Serve with some good crusty bread and Feta cheese on the side.
  4. A Greek rose wine is excellent with this dish. Try the Ligas Rose from Giannitsa (Pella), Makedonia.

© 2014, Peter Minakis. All rights reserved. If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://kalofagas.ca then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at truenorth67 AT gmail DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author.

30 Comments to “Fassolakia Ladera”

1. Happy Cook says:

That is one yummy looking beans dish and i love that there is potaoes in them too.

2. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Kalofagas Greek Food and Alexandros, Alexandros. Alexandros said: yum yum RT @ kalofagas http://bit.ly/c2czA2 Fassolakia Ladera. A vegetarian Greek dish w runner beans, olive oil, tomato, herbs and potatoes [...]

3. Anna says:

I loooooove fassolakia ladera! Mmmmmm especially with some feta on top. Thanks for the recipe, I won’t tell Aunt Mary I’m gonna use yours ;0

4. Simona says:

I ate this kind of beans as a kid, then they sort of disappeared, but now I can get them and I am very glad. I like the mix of herbs in your dish and the tomatoes.

5. Cherine says:

Love this dish!!! looks sooo tasty!!

6. Eleni says:

This is a must summer dish… το έφτιαξα τις προάλλες (δεν έβαλα μπαχάρι που προτείνεις, θα το δοκιμάσω όμως την άλλη φορά), είναι όμως από τα αγαπημένα μας πιάτα…

7. We don’t get these flat beans in San Diego. At least, I have never seen them. I’m sure I’d love them though since I adore string beans and fava beans. I’d be a happy Greek vegetarian if the dishes were like this, Peter.

Oh, yummy! A dish I’d eat several times a week!

9. brian_in_gib says:

Hi Peter,
    That looks delicious. We eat a lot of these beans here in Gib too but the dish is a lot heavier because it normally has some chorizo, morcilla (black sausage) and fatty Iberico ham in it. Best eaten in winter, as you’d imagine.
    Greeting from Gibraltar.
    Brian

10. So many similarities between Italian and Greek cooking. We love those flat green beans and often pair with potatoes.

11. Stamatia says:

Mmmm! I’ve seen these flat beans in Loblaws before, I’m not sure about the local incarnation (they’re called Superstore out here), but I think they’ve carried them too.

12. wow, this is very close to how lebanese cook their beans, and yes the green beans are much thinner and tastier there (I hate to say that stuff but it is true); i like the fact that you add all these other herbs to the dish, must do that next time

Το αγαπημένο μου καλοκαιρινό φαγητό!!!
    Με φρέσκα φασολάκια εννοείται, τα κατεψυγμένα δεν τα μπορώ καθόλου!!

14. Allspice! That was the surprise as I read this recipe.

15. deeba says:

A crust of bread and a platter of this is all I need Petah… and it’s nirvana! I love meatless sides. This is deliciously good!

16. That is a really good looking dish Peter. I love those flat beans which we call “snijbonen” as most people always cut them in very small strips before cooking. not sure why that is, but it is definitely one of my favorite beans!

17. I’ll bring my appetite if you bring this dish Peter. No doubt.

18. αγαπημενο λαδερό φαγάκι

i’m always at a loss for new ways to prepare pole beans, so this is very exciting for me. a version of this will no doubt be making its way onto my table soon!

Love the feta in the picture and the bread for dipping and mopping. Looks really yummy Peter :)

21. I love these beans! my father grows them every year in his garden… they grow so abundantly and they are delicious.

22. This looks awesome Peter! I have been really craving more veggies these past few weeks, and so I have been wracking my brain for my favorite vegetarian recipes that I used when I was a vegetarian. This is totally perfect! I am growing a few varieties of beans this year too.

23. Maria B. says:

υπέροχο και αγαπημένο φαγάκι !!!!

φιλια πήτερ

24. Ben says:

Greek and Mexican cuisines that in common, then. Lots of vegetables as main ingredient that make them a lot healthier. I wish we had markets like those in Ohio, I miss that SO much.

These Greek basics are often my favorite. Great looking fassolakia Peter!

Great dish Peter. I love all of the flavors and the beans look fantastic!

Oh yum! This sounds very similar to something my Portuguese grandmother made – except she used fava’s. Looks delicious!

Looking at this during dinnertime is just torture!

29. Ana says:

My mouth is watering!!! I agree with you, If you want this dish to taste good, try to find the flat string beans.

30. this is one of my FAVORITE things yiayia makes! Probably one of the first dishes I ever had, too!!
    so tasty~~