Greek Easter Recipe Round-Up

Apr 10th, 2014 | By | Category: Dessert, Dips, Easter, Featured, Festive, Goat, Greek, Greek Food, Greek Grill, Greek Traditions, Greek Wine, Lamb, Main, Meat, Meze, Roasting

Many of you have visited my Recipe Round-Up for Lent and I hope that I’ve helped you find some interesting dishes to break-up the monotony of the usual Lenten fare. We’re fast approaching Greek Easter and preparations are already beginning in my household! Greek Easter is centered around lamb or goat and the whole day is filled with celebration, eating, cooking, dancing, celebrating some more, drinking and eating some more!

Ouzo usually makes its rounds on Easter and I recommend you buy a bottle or two. The wine should flow on Easter and if there was ever a day you should drink Greek wine, Easter Sunday is a as a good of a day to try some wines out. If you’re looking for lamb, I recommend those living in the Toronto area to visit Kostas Meat Market. Kostas’ shop is in Scarborough and he brings in only farm-raised Ontario lamb.

Below are some links to recipes that I think you may want to have as part of your family’s Easter celebration. Greeks do Easter in a BIG way and I think you pull-off your own celebration just like we do!

Tsoureki (Greek Easter Brioche)

Easter Koulourakia

Greek Salad on a Stick

Raw Asparagus Salad

Vine-Leaf Wrapped Lamb

Lamb Lemonato

Rotisserie Leg of Lamb

Oven-Roasted Leg of Lamb

Lamb on the Spit (Souvla)

Lamb Exohiko

Slow-Roasted Goat

Greek Roast Potatoes

Galaktoboureko

Ekmek Kataifi

Baklava

Creme Brulee with Mastiha

Lemon Merique Pie

Touloumbes

Kaimaki Ice Cream

Copenhagen

Giannotiko Style Baklava

© 2007-2011 Peter Minakis

© 2014, Peter Minakis. All rights reserved. If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://kalofagas.ca then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at truenorth67 AT gmail DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author.

13 Comments to “Greek Easter Recipe Round-Up”

1. Dragon says:

So we start at the top and eat our way down? Easter must last a week at your place. ;)

A fabulous list! So big. I bet youi must celebrate Easter in a very festive way…

3. Foodycat says:

The feta and herb pull-aparts are already on my list of things to cook this easter!

Μια πλήρης λίστα με τις νοστιμιές σου Peter!
    Καλό Πάσχα εύχομαι!

5. My family is totally flaking out on me for Easter. My Easter weekend consists of catsitting my mother’s cat while she goes on vacation and then a two-person brunch. I think I need to book some tickets to Toronto and crash your party! I probably haven’t earned it though since I haven’t been observing Lent. I’m a rather backslid Catholic.

6. Wow, we want to come to your house for Easter! :) Of course, not many Easter celebrations in Turkey and Easter in the UK isn’t much celebrated these days, either. Just a few chocolate eggs; not much family time and certainly not half as much fun as the Greek Easter sounds!
    Julia

7. Farmer Jen says:

Thank you! Great recipe list.

8. Katie says:

All those spit-roasted beasts look gorgeous! We just had our Easter wine fare – with the roses the French love this time of year. Next will be the lamb fare…. We may not get good beef,but the lamb is exceptional! Nice recipe collection, too BTW

9. Ana Powell says:

My parents-in-law lived in Greece for over 20 years and they have told me that Easter in Greece is the major event in the whole year.
    The Easter lamb on the spit is absolutely delicious, slowly roasted for about 4 hours. I have seen a friend doing it and a clear indication that the lamb is nearly cooked is when the flesh shrinks away from the bones.
    Wishing you a great Easter ♥

10. Eri says:

Oh Gosh this is an amazing Easter Round up Peter!!! Kai tou xronou!!!

11. Ermioni says:

Po po Peter, ap’ola ta kala mas exeis!! Ante loipon, kalo pasxa na exoume!

12. Meli Litts says:

There is no recipe for Tsoureki, I would like to know the recipe you use. The breads in the picture remind me of my Yiayia’s and she passed recently. I therefore would like to make the Tsourekia for the family this year in her honor.

• Meli, thanks for your comment. The Tsoureki recipe was taken down as I know have it my cookbook, Everything Mediterranean2nd edition. Major book stores carry it and you can order from Amazon.