Smoked Eggplant Macaroni & CheeseFeb 11th, 2014 | By Peter Minakis | Category: Cheese, Eggplant, Featured, Greek Wine, Herbs, Recipes, Vegetables
This dish came about after brainstorming with “The Dragon” on our recent trip to Chicago. I had prepared as part of the main course a braised lamb in tomato sauce on a bed of smoked eggplant purée. Hunkar Begendi for those who know Istanbul-Constantinople food.
The key to pulling off this dish is getting the flesh of the eggplant to be smoky and that’s done by charring and blackening the flesh on a charcoal or gas grill. The oven won’t give you that smokey flavour. A must.
Once you have the charred eggplants, this dish is straightforward – mashed eggplant purée is mixed into a basic Bechamel, cheeses are added and some chives and roasted red peppers for colour.
This is a wonderful take on Macaroni and Cheese and one that I’ll make over and over. I love all things smoked and the though of eggplant blended into my Mac n’ Cheese puts a smile on my face. Your belly will thank you too!
Smoked Eggplant Macaroni & Cheese
2 cups elbow macaroni
1 roasted red pepper, skins peeled, seeded and diced
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
3 Tbsp. all purpose flour
1 small onion, finely diced
3 cups whole milk, warm
1/4 cup cream cheese
1 cup sharp grated cheese (I used Kefalograviera)
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup bread crumbs
1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
pre-heated 450F oven
- Place a medium pot of water on your stove-top and bring to a boil. Add salt and the pasta and stir. Boil for about 6 minutes, drain (add some oil and toss to keep from clumping) and reserve in a buttered deep casserole dish.
- To a medium pot, add the butter over medium heat then the onions and sweat for 5-6 minutes. Add the flour and stir for a minute then add the milk, 1/2 cup and stir in. Add the remaining milk 1/2 cup at a time until thick.
- Meanwhile, cut your eggplant lengthwise in half and scoop out the flesh with a spoon (discard skins) and mash up with a fork. Add to Bechamel and stir in then add the cream cheese, stir in then the grated cheese.
- Add the diced red pepper, chives and stir in. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and reserve.
- Add the smoked eggplant mixture to the pasta and toss to incorporate. Top with breadcrumbs and paprika and place in your pre-heated oven for 20 minutes or until top is just golden. Take out of the oven and allow 10 minutes to cool.
- Divide and serve with a Chatzimihalis Sauvignon Blanc.
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.
© 2014, Peter Minakis. All rights reserved. If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://kalofagas.ca then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at truenorth67 AT gmail DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author.