Lamb is versatile, you can use certain cuts for grilling, others for mince, shanks for braising and it this case, a warm and comforting stew finished with an Avgolemono sauce.
This is one of those weekend meals that takes a little time but the recipe is straightforward. It’s a must to have some crusty bread to mop up the plate. Kali Orexi!
Lamb and Artichokes Avgolemono
1 kg of lamb leg or shoulder (bone in), cut into large chunks
sea salt & fresh ground pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
8 scallions, finely chopped
2 medium onions, sliced
2 bay leaves
the leaves of 4-5 thyme sprigs
6-8 whole peppercorns
approx. 2-3 cups of lamb or chicken stock
1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
12-14 small artichokes, peeled and cleaned or thawed from frozen
1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
salt & pepper to taste
1 large egg
juice of 1/2 lemon
extra lemon juice to taste
- Season your lamb with salt and pepper and paprika. In a Dutch oven (just big enough to fit meat), add 2-3 Tbsp. of olive oil over medium-high heat and brown all sides of your lamb, reserve. Now add the remaining oil, then add scallions and onions (add toward the end) and sweat for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the lamb back in the Dutch oven along with bay leaves, thyme, peppercorns and add enough stock (2-3 cups) to almost cover and some salt and pepper. Place the cover on the pot and simmer for about 90 minutes or until the meat is fork tender and becomes easy to remove from the bone (or you may place in a pre-heated 350F oven).
- Add your carrot and artichokes and and simmer for another 20-30 minutes (or until the artichokes are tender). Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and take off the heat and add the chopped fresh dill.
- Meanwhile in a bowl, prepare your Avgolemono Sauce by beating your eggs and lemon juice with a whisk. Take a ladle of stock from the the pot and slowly add to egg/lemon mixture while vigorously whisking. Pour 2-3 more ladles while whisking.
- Add your Avgolemono back into your pot and shake the pot gently to allow the Avgolemono to set. Serve with an Argyros Atlantis White.
. All rights reserved.