Cauliflower Stifado With Kale & Kalamata Olives

Jan 9th, 2013 | By | Category: Cauliflower, Featured, Garlic, Greek, Greek Wine, Herbs, Lent, Main, Olive Oil, Olives, Onions, Potato, Sauce, Stew, Vegetarian

IMG_7772You’ve indulged in rich foods over the holidays, perhaps some decadence in the diet? I have too! Now that we’re into January it’s time to look to the vast, delicious and healthy vegetarian Greek dishes that we call Ladera or “oiled”.

The cornerstone of Greek cookery is seasonal ingredients, quality olive oil and prepared in a simple manner that allows the ingredients to shine. Today’s focus is cauliflower, an old dish with its origins said to come from Cyprus, thus adopting the old French name “chou de Chypre” (Cyprus cabbage).

Cauliflower was also introduced to England in 1586 where it was called Cyprus cabbage or colewort. It is a vegetable you likely haven’t seen as most visitors to Cyprus and Greece are there in the summer time, when this is a winter time vegetable!

Here, I am adding cauliflower in a pot with potatoes and onions to make a stew or stifado in Greek. A stifado usually has lots of onions but I’ve toned it down a bit as I still want to taste the cauliflower. Your kitchen will come alive with the aromas of bay, rosemary, onions, Greek oregano and Kalamata olives. Olive oil is the conduit to bring the sauce together and the kale, iron rich kale offers colour and even more taste and health to your dish.

Load the plate, grab some crusty bread and enjoy this delicious, hearty and vegetarian Greek dish.IMG_7777

For the Cauliflower Stifado With Kale & Kalamata Olives (Κουνουπίδι Στιφάδο) recipe, please buy my Everything Mediterranean cookbook.

© 2013 – 2014, Peter Minakis. All rights reserved. If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://kalofagas.ca then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at truenorth67 AT gmail DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author.

13 Comments to “Cauliflower Stifado With Kale & Kalamata Olives”

1. Donna Papacosta says:

This looks AMAZING! Thanks for sharing it.

2. Judith Greenwood says:

I shared this because it is so beautiful and I don’t even have to taste it to know it’s deliciious, too.

3. Steve says:

Θαύμα! Θα το μαγειρέψω αύριο.

4. This stifado recipe looks very delicious! Thanks for sharing.

5. Cool about the cauliflower history. Love this dish! Seems like it would be good with a few pieces of dried fruit thrown in there before cooking.

6. Sounds great! I’m not familiar with this type of “Ladera” preparation, but will have to try. This looks like a good recipe for CSA season as well as following the holidays.

7. Yummy Peter, delicious, love kalamata olives!

What a gorgeous looking dish and the flavors sound wonderful!

Looks delicious Peter. I, too, just made a vegetable stew with kale, artichokes and lentils which I plan to publish later this week. Meals like you really don’t miss the meat and a great for a change.

10. Barb says:

This was delicious! Hearty and filling; the perfect meal for a cold winter night.

11. Lenora says:

Peter, I made this yesterday. Absolutely to die for! Many thanks for a great recipe — and supper for the next few days;-) Every bit as delicious as it looks!!

12. Fantastic-looking. I can’t wait to try this tomorrow for lunch with some Lemon and Oregano Chicken.

I always find the best recipes on this site. Thank you so much!

Victoria Allman
    author of: SEAsoned: A Chef’s Journey with Her Captain

13. Charlene says:

Wow! I found this through my friend Donna Papacosta. What a delicious and satisfying stew. I made it Monday night avnd brought in leftovers for lunch today. A colleague saw me heating it up in the kitchen and asked for the recipe, which I came to this site to forward. I may sub white beans for the potatoes as a variation when I make it again – which will be soon.