Another Gioulbasi recipe, Greek man? Why….yes! This recipe comes from a rare, out of print book (only in Greek) that focuses on Rebetika mezedes/small bites and dishes. I love this book and you’ll be seeing more dishes from this fine little book.
Again, Gioulbasi is most commonly known as a leg of lamb dish that’s stuffed with garlic, sharp Kefalotyri cheese, herbs and lemon. I will get to the original Gioulbasi but I think this riff using whole chicken wrapped in parchment will be a winner with your family and friends.
Chicken Gioulbasi is an easy dish: the chicken is rubbed in olive oil, lemon juice then seasoned with sweet paprika, sea salt, fresh ground pepper and dried Greek oregano. Wait, there’s more! The chicken’s cavity is stuffed with cloves of garlic, lemon wedges and cubes of sharp, Kefalotyri cheese (sheep’s milk cheese).
The chicken gets wrapped in parchment paper, tied with butcher twine and placed in the oven. The chicken roasts, the chicken steams, the chicken becomes aromatic, the chicken’s skin renders and in the end, does become golden and crisp – counter to cooking instincts.
The skin is crisp, the meat juicy, aromatic from the Greek oregano, lemon and garlic and a joy to eat with a garnish of the firm Kefalotyri cheese that roasted inside the chicken. Serve with mashed potatoes, some steamed broccoli with olive oil and lemon juice, pour some of the juices from the bottom of the parchment and enjoy this wonderful Greek chicken dish.
Chicken Gioulbasi (Κοτόπουλο γκιούλμπασι)
1 whole chicken
approx. 3 1/2 lbs.
6-7 cloves of garlic, smashed
3/4 cup cubed Kefalotyri cheese
2 wedges of lemon
1/4 extra-virgin olive oil
zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 tsp. sweet paprika
2 tsp. dried Greek oregano
fine sea salt
fresh ground pepper
pre-heated 400F oven
- Pre-heat your oven. Rinse your chicken and pat-dry. Lay out two sheets of parchment paper (in a cross pattern) then place your chicken over it.
- Rub your chicken with olive oil, zest and lemon juice then rub with sweet paprika, salt, pepper and dried oregano. Now fill the cavity with lemon wedges, garlic and Kefalotryi cheese. Seal the chicken’s cavity with a toothpick then fold-up the four corners of the parchment up over the chicken, ensuring the bird is well wrapped.
- Take a long piece of butcher’s twine and slide under the parchment and tie up in a bundle. Place your parchment wrapped chicken (breast side up) in a roast pan and place in your pre-heated oven for approx. 90-110 minutes or until your chicken reads an internal temperature of 180F (you should also see the chicken turn golden brown).
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes. Snip off the butcher’s twine and unwrap the parchment paper. Cut your chicken into portions, serve with mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli. Top with some cubes of Kefalotyri cheese, roasted garlic, squeeze of lemon juice.
- Serve with a Skouras Moschofilero.
© 2012 – 2017,
. All rights reserved.