This sandwich came together using leftovers from a combo of previous recipes but don’t let that dissuade you from trying this one out. Reinventing and turning leftovers into an entirely new, fresh dish is a kitchen triumph with a delicious reward. I lucked-out with some tri-tip steak at the butcher and made a marinade of East and West ingredients, had some leftover mushrooms from my recent Warm Mushroom Salad and smeared Talstenes, a spread made of roasted eggplants, red peppers and tomatoes.
I was starving when i made this sandwich and I made it again after thinking and craving it the following day. There’ a little prep involved in making the accompaniments but it is worth it. Make this steak sandwich, your tummy will you thank you!
Steak Sandwich With Talstenes, Mushrooms & Graviera
1 flank or tri-tip steak
1/2 cup olive oil
3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
6-7 cloves of garlic
1 knob of ginger, grated
1/3 cup soy sauce
lots of fresh ground pepper
2 Tbsp. fresh ground pepper
2 Tbsp. fresh thyme
2 cups sliced Cremini mushrooms
2 cups sliced King mushrooms
2 bay leaves
1 spring of fresh rosemary
handful of fresh thyme leaves
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
6 cloves of fresh garlic, smashed
salt and pepper
Talstenes eggplant/red pepper spread
slices of Graviera cheese (or Gruyere)
toasted baguette bread
- Place all your steak marinade ingredients in food processor and whiz until the scallions are pureed and amalgamated into the marinade. Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly. Place your steak into a zip-lock bag and pour the marinade contents, seal and place in the fridge for 3 hours.
- In the meantime, Place a heavy skillet (I like a cast iron pan) over medium-low heat and add your olive oil, garlic, mushrooms, herbs, salt and pepper and stir to coat. Allow the mushrooms to slowly cook, occasionally stirring for about 20 minutes. Reserve/keep warm.
- Remove your steak from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature. Pre-heat your gas/charcoal grill to high, brush the surface clear of residue. Wipe access marinade off the steak and discard. Season both sides of the steak with sea salt and place on the hot grill and cook for 4-5 minutes a side (for medium rare). Allow the steak to rest five minutes before slicing.
- Slice the steak across the grain into thin slices. Lightly toast your baguette slices, smear Taltsenes on the bottom slices then lay some slices of steak followed by warm mushrooms and slices of cheese.
- Place under the broiler to just melt the cheese and place the top slice of baguette on your sandwich and serve.
. All rights reserved.