Lenten Cake

Mar 1st, 2012 | By | Category: Baking, Cake, Dessert, Featured, Flour, Fruit, Greek, Lent, Olive Oil, Spices, Sugar

It’s good to see so many clicking and looking for Lent-friendly dishes – just a few days ago this site experienced the largest spike it traffic EVER. Thank you! A quick look at the links to all of my Lent-friendly dishes and you’ll see that the sweet side of Lent is a little lean – few recipes and my goal this year is to pad that part of the list.

This recipe come from my mom’s good friend Helen who was kind enough to send a piece of cake for me to try and I almost immediately contacted her and asked for the recipe.  The concern with many egg-free cakes is that the cake may be dense, that horrid taste of baking soda is unmistakable and perhaps the cake is dry. This Lenten Cake defies all those prejudices with the use of olive oil for moistness, ground almonds giving some lift and neutralizing any baking soda after taste and the amount of sugar in here is moderate with dried fruits rounding out the sweet aspect.

There’s ground cinnamon and clove, chopped nuts, toasted sesame seeds and dried fruit for texture, lots of orange and lemon zest to brighten the flavours and best of all…it’s easy to whip up. Gather the ingredients, prepare them and mix the batter while your oven is pre-heating.

For the Lenten Cake (Νηστισιμο Κεικ) recipe and more, purchase my Everything Mediterranean cookbook.

© 2012 – 2014, Peter Minakis. All rights reserved.

10 Comments to “Lenten Cake”

1. mm_skg says:

Hello Peter! This cake sounds really yummy!

A marvelous cake! Oh, how I wish I had a slice of that beauty right now…

3. Mary Dailey says:

I will be printing this recipe. I have tons of Greek cookbooks, but this one really looks good. I wish there was a way to pin your recipes on Pinterest. I notice you are on Pinterest, but I would love to put some of our wonderful Greek recipes on there. I think people would love to try them and they won’t be sorry. I am on there under the name Mary Avlos-Dailey.

4. Cynthia says:

This cake sounds delicious. Since it contains olive oil, is it only to be eaten on Saturdays and Sundays during lent?

Η Σαρακοστή και η νηστεία, έχουν κι αυτές τις νοστιμιές του, όπως το εξαιρετικό κεκάκι σου Peter!
    Φιλιά, καλό μήνα, καλή Σαρακοστή!

6. done and done! so making this.

7. Dragon says:

Yay, I can have this cake! Thanks for sharing. :)

8. Eri says:

I love it Peter, I will try it, with the dried cranberries and cherries.. Yum!! Good Luck for Sunday, you are going to rock!!!

9. Oh yeah…these nistisima cakes with spices are just the best! I love using almond meal in baking for the moist factor…bravo Peter!