Greek Roasted Potatoes

Apr 22nd, 2009 | By | Category: Greek, Herbs, How To, Lemon, Olive Oil, Potato, Recipes, Roasting, Side, Vegetables, Vegetarian

Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines preheat your ovens.img_44701

From the time it takes you to read this article, peel some potatoes and dress them with olive oil, lemon juice and herbs, you’re going have some spuds in the oven and it less than hour, those crispy, golden-brown potatoes you love and enjoy at your Greek friend’s home or favourite Greek restaurant.

That smell of olive oil, lemon juice and herbs wafting from the oven and up to your nostrils. Yes, it’s those same Greek potatoes. How do they do it?

It’s almost embarrassing to even call it a recipe but here it goes…pre-heat your oven to 45oF, middle rack.

You want to use either Yukon Gold or Russet potatoes. They work best with Greek potatoes. You will also need some olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and a splash of water.img_1522

Depending on your mood, you may want to toss some herbs into the mix. Being a Greek, our bias is towards dried oregano but thyme, marjoram or sage would also work. How about a blend like Herbs de Provence? If you’re using dry herbs, show some restraint and just add a teaspoon or two (max), as dry herbs can burn.

Another way to pep up your potatoes is to use chicken stock instead of salt and water. Often times, chicken or vegetable bases also work wonderfully with Greek roasted potatoes.

If you’re really feeling fancy, try adding some spices, like paprika in to the mix. The possibilities are endless. What remains is the one constant…Greek roasted potatoes are blasted at 450F until crisp on the the ouside, that familiar golden-brown and a fluffy fork-tender inside.

Greek Roasted Potatoesimg_1523

Yukon or Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges

olive oil

fresh lemon juice + equal part water

salt and pepper

some dried Greek oregano (other herb of choice)

Pre-heated 450F oven

1. After you’ve peeled your potatoes and cut them into wedges, drizzle some olive oil, add the lemon juice and water and season with salt and pepper and the oregano.
  2. Toss to coat and have a quick taste of the liquid and adjust seasoning accordingly.
  3. Place in the pre-heated oven and roast (a full baking tray) for about 45 minutes or until golden-brown and fork-tender.
  4. Remove the potatoes from the oven and with a spatula, separate and lift the potatoes so that they don’t stick. Gently toss to coat the potatoes with the residual olive oil.
  5. Serve imediately with your main course.

Note: Do not overcrowd the roasting pan with potatoes. Overcrowding will steam your potatoes – not roast them. If they look too dense in the pan, move up to a larger pan.

© 2009 – 2012, Peter Minakis. All rights reserved.

51 Comments to “Greek Roasted Potatoes”

1. Arundathi says:

Gorgeous looking potatoes. I make an Indian-ised version using cumin instead of oregano and lots of garlic cloves! :-)

2. Dragon says:

I love the colour of your potatoes. I bet they tasted great!

3. I love to prepare potatoes just like this with various spices – it’s the best way! Sounds excellent with oregano and lemon juice!

4. I’m making lamb on the grill this weekend and want to make these potatoes too, but I fear it might get too hot to boost the oven inside the house up to 450 degrees. But then again, maybe I will anyway. They look so good and would be perfect with the lamb.

Lovely! That is one of my favorite ways of roasting potatoes!

6. Holly says:

This is my favorite way to prepare potatoes. I also do an easy no brainer dinner by adding chicken thighs, lemon wedges and rosemary, a great one pan entre. Can’t wai to read your lamb post.

I’ve never added water when I’ve made them. I par boil the taters for a few mins first, drain and give them a shake. Probably not very Greek to do so, but then I’ve never had a recipe till now! Always yummy though, and I just use oregano and lemon with the olive oil…..Right now – I want Greek roasted potatoes at 7.30am LOL

8. Farmer Jen says:

Reminds me of my Mom’s roasted potatoes. Can’t get enough of them.

9. These are my favourite Peter. Lemon to me is IT as I prefer it even over chocolate:D

10. Happy Cook says:

Wow looks so yumm, normally when o do potatoes in oven i preboil them a little.
    Wish i had this for my lunch.

11. Foodycat says:

Those are gorgeous potatoes. I’d really like some garlicky mayonnaise to dunk them in!

Patatoules fournou, my favourites potatoes!!!
    With lemon juice, some rigani and maybe some garlic … just perfect!!

13. Jeanne says:

Stop! Stop! You’re killing us here!! :o) These look absolutely drop-dead gorgeous. I do somethign similar with unpeeled, halved new potatoes, garlic and olive oil. It’s truly the best thing a potato can become :)

14. Sam says:

They look beautiful, you can’t beat a good roast potato!

15. OhioMom says:

Love roasted taters, I leave the skins on … yum!

Yum, my favorite way to make potatoes anyday!

17. maria v says:

we make them just like this!

I make them similar..but get greedy and overcrowd the pan! Delicious Peter…one of the most satisfying side dishes of Greek cooking!

I could eat just these potatoes for dinner! They look incredible!

20. holler says:

I love roast potatoes and these look exceptionally good! I tend to only have them at my parent’s house, opting for baked potatoes most of the time. I must treat myself soon!

21. dawn says:

yes, a little lemon juice for roasting potatoes, oh yeah!
    love these Peter!

22. Soma says:

I do make these, sometimes with herbs, sometimes just salt & pepper. Lemon Juice sounds great.. next time for me.

Simple food is the best food. I love the lemon on these potatoes – they look great.

24. Lisa says:

Just perfect Peter. I would add Indian spices to the pan me thinks.

25. gunther says:

with pepper and oregano it’s perfect

26. Helene says:

These potatoes are the perfect complement to a meal. Thanks for the recipe Peter.

27. Elizabeth says:

Perfect side dish..I usually add some orange juice as well. Nice!

28. Perfect, perfect, perfect. We made something similar for Easter with rosemary. Next time, it’s Greek oregano.

29. Elle says:

No lie–I could sit down with a huge plate of those right now and be in heaven. Potatoes are my friends.

30. Georgia says:

nothing like roasted greek potatoes!
    For Easter, I baked them with lamb shanks and garlic on top of the ingrendients you just mentioned! They were to die for!

31. pam says:

I love Greek roasted potatoes. The addition of lemon juice really sets it apart.

Wow… so easy and they look SO delicious!

33. Vivian says:

Roast potatoes, one of my favorite topics! I read somewhere that if you par-boil them a touch first, then run the tines of a fork over their surfaces to fluff them up a bit, they have even more edges to crisp. Worth a try even if it goes against traditional Greek custom?

34. Simple is best. Potatoes with thyme or oregano and lemon are amazing. So glad you’ve given them their minutes of fame.

35. Luana says:

These really are the best potatoes ever!

“You know you love them, you crave them – you want them more than the main course. You adore that golden-brown colour, the edges just slightly burnt, crispy.”

it’s like you took the words right out of my mouth. amen.

37. These look delicious. I love roasted potatoes.

38. Michelle says:

Ooooh… I LOVE lemony, Greek potatoes. Putting this on the “must make” list!

39. marguerite says:

We love these! I make them often!

40. courtney says:

I am not a potoato fan in general but these rock! So good.

41. Haley J. says:

I’ve had these bookmarked for a while, and I made them for dinner tonight. Soooo good. I’m definitely liking them better than my usual roasted potatoes.

42. […] before carving. Serve with wedges of lemon, sprinkle with some dried Greek oregano and serve with Greek roast potatoes and this Tourlou with green beans. Serve with a Semeli Mantineia […]

43. […] of lamb is tightly wrapped and bound by a layer of preserved vine leaves. This dish is served with Greek roast potatoes and a pan gravy made simply from the pan juices and roasted vegetables. This dish is by no means […]

44. […] do roast chicken well…very well. I always get asked how we do our roast lemon chicken, roast potatoes always comes up as a topic and even how to make a Greek salad! The key to much of the recipes in […]

45. […] do roast chicken very well. I always get asked how we do our roast lemon chicken, roast potatoes always comes up as a topic and even how to make a Greek salad! The key to much of the recipes in […]

46. […] the oven and allow 1o minutes resting period before slicing. Serve with garlic mashed potatoes or Greek roasted potatoes or baked rice with red […]

47. […] was adapted from Kalofagas This entry was posted in Rice, Turkey, Vegetable and tagged bell peppers, red peppers, stuffed […]

48. […] was adapted from Kalofagas This entry was posted in Vegetarian and tagged greek potatoes, potatoes, roasted potatoes, […]

49. Dana says:

What ratio of potatoes to lemon ratio would you suggest? Trying not to over or under whelm the taste buds with lemon flavor. Thanks!!