Melomakarona Cheesecake

Feb 21st, 2009 | By | Category: Baking, Butter, Cake, Cheese, Cookies, Dairy, Dessert, Greek, Recipes, Spices, Sugar

img_2633Here in Toronto, I visit our Greektown (locally known as The Danforth) at least once a month. One of the reasons I head down there is to pick up the monthly edition of Gastronomos (included in Kathermerini).

Gastronomos keeps me posted on new developments in Greek cookery and the issue is always good for resurrecting  an old classic or updating one for comtemporary tastes.img_2426

Each month, a cooking focus is conducted on a Greek classic and four or five “twists” are applied using the dish’s base ingredients. The Christmas issue offered twists on Melomakarona.

Melomakarona are a traditional honey and walnut cookie that are spiced with cinnamon and cloves and finally dunked in a syrup. They last a long time and on occasion, some remain after the holidays.img_1440

The idea of using Melomakarona came from Greece’s famous pastry chef, Stelios Paliaros. I was smitten with this notion of using up leftover Melomakarona as a base for a cheesecake.

I used a basic recipe for a baked cheesecake where half the amount of cream cheese was used and the richness of the cheesecake wasn’t compromised.

This recipe is also an answer to Greek homemakers who seem to always be stuck using Digestive or Petit Beurre cookies as a cheesecake base. For some reason, graham cracker cookies are hard to find in Greece. My question is, why not use Melomakarona cookies for a cheesecake base?

For those living outside of Greece, one can always make a batch of Melomekarona and if you’re concerned about their availablity, most Greek bakeries sell them all year ’round.img_2564

Making this Melomakarona cheesecake did not go without debate. Us Greeks are a passionate folk and my mom and I had long debated whether this cheesecake would work or not.

The excuse to make this cheesecale was set…my mom’s hometown friends were over for dinner. The purpose for the recipe was to use up leftover Melomakarona from Christmas. The result…a table-full of pleasantly surprised and delighted Greek-Canadian immigrants who adored the Cheesecake with a Melomakarona base.

Melomakarona Cheesecake

1 pint of Greek yogurt
zest of 1 orange
splash of vanilla extract

coarsely ground walnuts
ground cinnamon to taste

Pre-heated 325F
  1. In a food processor, add your Melomakarona cookies and pulse into a medium ground. Add into a mixing bowl and add your melted butter and mix until the crumbs are entirely coated by the butter.
  2. Lightly coat the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan and place your ground Melomakarona crumbs on the bottom and press the cookie crumbs down using the bottom of a measuring cup or a smoothglass bottom. Place in the fridge so that the crust sets.
  3. For the filling, add your softened cream cheese in a bowl and beat with an electric hand mixer on low speed for a minute (until smooth and no lumps). Add the eggs, one at a time and contineue to beat slowly. Add the sugar gradually and beat until creamy, for another minute or two.
  4. Add the Greek yogurt, orange zest and vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and the beaters on occasion until the batter is well-mixed but not overbeaten. Pour the cream cheese filling into the crust-lined springform pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
  5. Place the springform on a large piece of aluminum foil and fold the sides up around it. Place the cake in a roasting pan and carefully pour boiling water into the roasting pan (about halfway up the the cake). Bake for 60 to 75 minutes (middle rack) or until the cheesecake just slightly jiggles. Allow to cool in pan to room temperature.
  6. Cover and place in the fridge for at least four hours before serving. Loosen the springform pan and carefully remove the cheesecake and place on a serving plate.
  7. Drizzle some honey or simple syrup (from making candied orange peel). Grind some walnuts in a food processor with some cinnamon and sprinkle on top of the cheesecake. Serve a dollop or rosette of whipped cream and top with a candied orange peel.
  8. Use a sharp knife dipped in a glass of hot water when slicing each wedge of cake.

© 2009 – 2011, Peter Minakis. All rights reserved. If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://kalofagas.ca then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at truenorth67 AT gmail DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author.

78 Comments to “Melomakarona Cheesecake”

1. Jo says:

oh wow does that look incredible! delicious!

That is so beautiful!

3. kellypea says:

Very nice. I swear those photos are sending out calories. The idea of those cookies in that combo is out of this world. Very nice! And I detect some more changes to your theme — the sidebar is looking very nice. I like the dark lines. Classy.

4. Navita says:

Oh my Gosh….that looks so insanely gorgeous…love tht cheese cake…although I am not a big fan of cheese in cakes…( I know I know I am a little eccentric..)

Peter have been intending to ask you what is the meaning of your blog title? Just curious.

5. elly says:

OMG this is one of the most brilliant ideas ever. Mmmmm. I love melomakarona and cheesecake. Together = heaven.

6. maria says:

excellent recipe – this will help to make cheesecake more popular among greeks in greece

wow… that all sounds so, so good! i love cheesecake and am always looking for new recipes. this one looks great!

That cheesecake looks amazing! First I am going to have to try the Melomakarona though.

9. Judy says:

Wow. When you do dessert you really do dessert! Love that cheesecake!!

10. katie says:

Graham cracker are hard to come by everywhere on this side of the pond – great idea!
    Great cheesecake!

11. dawn says:

geeeez Peter! I am so glad to see you have a sweet tooth. That cheesecake! Holy mother of….
    I really want to try those walnut & honey cookies too. Dangerous, very dangerous.

12. Paul says:

Holy crap! I’m passing this recipe on to my sister.

Paul

13. Georgia says:

All you are going to get is raves about this recipe!! What an awesome idea!

Graham Crackers are not difficult to be found in Greece. They probably don’t know that they are the same as Digestive Biscuits.

• Ivy, graham cracker wafers and digestive cookies are not one & the same. Notes of cinnamon and some ginger can be detected in graham crackers, digestives are butter and hint of vanilla. Two very different cookies…a different resulting cheesecake.

Oh! The combination is amazing. What a clever and tasty idea.

16. So when did you become a pastry chef???
    This is incredibly professional looking and yummy.

17. This is one of the best ideas ever. Stelios Parliaros is a dessert genius. And you executed this perfectly – the photos are so mouth-wateringly good.

Very impressive looking. There’s no arguing whatever changes you made to the recipe were successful.

19. kanella says:

Please let me know what bakery will sell this so next time I visit Toronto and Danforth, I can try it :). Amazing!

Incredibly tempting! This cheesecake looks soooo scrumptious!

21. giz says:

It’s a rarity to see you posting baked goods – this one is really impressive. I would make this one for sure.

22. Very clever and resourceful, Peter! The cheesecake looks really luscious. I made a no-bake cheese pie a few months back using some “past their prime” sugar cookies for the crust. Waste not, want not! ;)

23. Leslie Green says:

Ohh Peter, ship that down my way will ya?

24. Paula says:

Are. You. Kidding. Me??? I’m speechless! Your idea of using the Melomakarona in this was incredible. Not only that, but it’s just beautiful to look at. Your garnish embellishments are lovely. I can see why your guests enjoyed it. YUM!

25. pam says:

That first picture is to die for! Quick question – what is a digestive cookie?

Love the look of that cheesecake! The orange with the vanilla and walnuts – yum!

27. Very clever idea. The cookies look gret by themselves, so I’m sure they’re a great cheesecake base. Your cake is very pretty too.

my first thought was “what a crust!”
    my second thought was “must find some of these cookies apace.” :)

A friend of mine makes cheese cake with melomakarona.
    I have to try this, but I am afraid i’ll eat al the melomakarona (cause I like them very much) and then it would be nothing fot the base of the cheesecake;-)

30. Vivian says:

Delightful combination, Peter. I just learned that walnuts possess a high amount of natural Omega 3 fatty acids, so the more ways we can consume them, the better!

31. Niki says:

I’m so excited about this cheesecake! I now know what to do with some of the cream cheese I bought at the store last week!!!

32. As you’re probably aware by now, I love Greek cakes and desserts. But this, I think, is going straight to the top of my list. Wow.

33. holler says:

That looks absolutely amazing Peter! You must have a steady hand :)

34. Sara says:

The new site is great! The cheesecake looks absolutely amazing, I can only imagine how delicious it must taste.

35. I remember the Danforth well. I asm loving this Greek twist on cheesecake. Wouldn’t I love to have a piece right now:D

36. meredith says:

I am afraid i will gain weight visiting your delicious blog! Never the less I shall add you to my cooking faves immediately!

37. Maria Jose says:

Me encantan tus recetas y esta especialmente seguro que esta deliciosa!!

38. MaryAthenes says:

I like very much this magazine and I’ve made this cheesecake too : http://en-direct-dathenes.over-blog.fr/
    Yours is delighting !

39. Soma says:

I do not like cheesecakes. this is tempting even me to atleast try it for the sake of the flavors that went it there!! the initial honey,walnut, cinnamon, clove got me going:-).. the orange zest, less cheese.. Perfect!

40. lo says:

This is gorgeous, Peter. Love the idea of cheesecake… and that walnut topping. To die for.

41. MsGourmet says:

Looks like we both had candied orange peel on the brain this weekend – freaky!

42. Dimitris says:

That looks really delicious!

Can you send one piece for me in Bonn?

43. Dimitris says:

Hey I remember “Το κουρδιστό Γουρούνι – Ζυθεστιατόριο”!

That is in Thessaloniki fairly close to Aghia Sophia Church :)

44. nina says:

I love the little citrus twirl on the top…cute! Great cheesecake!!

45. MariannaF says:

that looks amazing!!! wow, mouthwatering mmm mmm!! i used a melomakarona base once as a substitute for short cut pastry in a tart recipe, it added a nice twist! great new blog btw!!havent been on here for a while

46. FoodJunkie says:

Darling,
    I am a bit worried you had left over melomakarona! We made four batches these year and they all disappeared. I guess you a kourabie kinda guy… :-)

47. EAT! says:

What a fun day – I love exploring new foods/gadgets etc.

The first cheeecake got me. My coffee is very lonely this morning.

48. OhioMom says:

That cheesecake definitely has a WOW factor! Wiping the drool off my screen :)

I just wanted to tell you we had the roasted chicken and baked rice for Sunday supper, my guys LOVED the rice and the junior food critic requested that I make the rice this way in the future. I used my homemade vegggie broth, and I have to say that baked rice is much better than on top of the stove. Thank you :)

49. Katherine says:

Your cheesecake looks so luxurious. I’m glad the debate went your way.

50. justeatfood says:

That looks gorgeous. I love learing something EVERY time I visit. What I wouldn’t do for a slice of that with my coffee right now?!

Best, Emily

51. Sandie says:

Two thoughts:

(1) If I were a cake I’d be a cheesecake.

(2) Is it possible to put on a few pounds from licking the screen? ;)

Nicely done, Peter. Next time, more photos from “The Danforth,” I want to go on a tour of your Greektown!

52. I’m liking the new look Peter! well done.

53. marguerite says:

That looks amazing!!!

54. Mike says:

I really like how you took this dessert and made it your own. I’ve never had melomakarona (or a cheesecake with yogurt), but I could definitely see myself devouring that quickly. It looks fantastic!

55. Mercina says:

What a fantastic idea. I’m definitely going to keep this in mind the next time we have left-over melomakarona!

56. Anthie says:

how utterly delicious! we tend to have left over melomakarona when my mum makes them (i know sad really) and this would be a kickass way to put them to good use. i wonder if you could do the same thing with kourabiedes?

57. [...] ago, I had posted a rare dessert recipe which called for using up leftover Melomakarona to make a cheesecake. One commenter observed that I don’t make desserts often but when I do…I go [...]

58. This looks amazing, Peter. I love the idea of combining the greek yogurt in with the cream cheese, too. I much prefer Mediterranean style (less sweet, more baked) cheese cakes to the overly sweetened versions you find in the U.S. I will definitely try some form of this soon.

59. courtney says:

Where have I been all wee? You have been psoting some great ones. Yes, when you do a dessert you do it big. Wonderful!

60. Need a piece stat! We didn’t realize you’d moved your site to a new name, so our RSS wasn’t updated. Yikes! Good to be back on track again.

61. Nicole says:

Oh my… I am full just looking at that amazing creation. Not good for the tummy but I am sure my tastebuds would be in heaven.

62. Jude says:

Sounds great. We have a few Greek bakeries around here so I’ll be sure to ask about when I visit.

63. maria says:

That looks so amazingly good … I cannot say how much I would love to have a piece in front of me right now. Delicious.

64. Haha, my heart skipped a beat when I read Makaronia cheesecake! I thought it was your entry for the pastitsio contest and that you were presenting us with a sweet pasta cheesecake! Now that’s an idea….

65. Oh my goodness that looks good. A cheesecake craving just set in, and now I’m going to have to do something about that.

66. HoneyB says:

Wow, this looks awesome. I love the sound of the flavors. Your cheesecake texture looks awesome too!

67. Kalimera, was planning to make a cheesecake for a dinner party this weekend and will try to hunt down these delicious-looking cookies to try this recipe. Well done, as always, Peter.

68. Sabina says:

Peter, you are amazing !!! Speechlessssss

69. [...] Got leftover Melomakarona? Try this Cheesecake with Melomakarona crust! [...]

70. maria says:

Καλά, ούτε που θα το σκεφτόμουν ποτέ να το φτιάξω! Αυτός ο Στέλιος Παρλιάρος δημιουργεί κάθε φορά!
    amazing recipe! will try it after the holidays (if there are any leftovers from the melomakarona, which I doubt)

71. bellini says:

I love these twists and turns in cooking. This looks bakery ready Peter.

72. Janet says:

I am having a serious craving for this right now- it looks mouthwatering! Bravo, my dear ;-)

73. Kikh says:

Hi!

Would it be ok with you if I repost the recipe using your pictures at my Facebook page A Taste of Crete. It looks amazing and the pictures are great, so I would like to share it with my followers.

Kind regards
    Kickie

• Kiki, your site is for commercial purposes. Would you like to purchase the photos/recipe?

• Kikh says:

My page is simply an expression for my love of Crete and all fantastic Greek food I stumble upon, I had no idea it was a commercial site. I do all the cooking and exploring on my free time and I don’t make any money from the site, I rather spend my money for it:) Unfortunately I’m on a tight budget and will have to wait until I baked myself.
        Thank you for a prompt answer and congratulations to a great site!

Kikh