Prawns Tourkolimano

Jul 8th, 2008 | By | Category: Appetizer, Cheese, Greek, Herbs, Meat, Recipe, Sauce, Seafood

Tourkolimano is a small, natural harbour on the northeast coast of Piraeaus, near Athens. This dish gets it’s name from here but it can be tasted all around the world, wherever one might find a Greek taverna.

This classic dish is extremely quick to make and the most difficult task is your prep work. Beyond that, it comes together in minutes and it’ll taste like you slaved over the pot for an hour.

I’ve adapted this Greek meze from Aristedes Pasparakis’ and Byron Ayanoglu’s “New Greek Cuisine”. Here we have a lusty sauce of fresh garden herbs, tomato, garlic and feta.

This appetizer is easy on the eye, you’ll make some new food groupies you’ll probably earn the praises of your Greek friends.

Go ahead…make their day!

Prawns Tourkolimano

1 lb. of shrimp, peeled and deveined
salt and pepper
3 scallions, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, sliced
1/2 cup olive oil
1 large tomato, diced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tsp. dry oregano
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1 slab of Greek feta, coarsely crumbled
chopped fresh parsley and chives for garnish

1. Season your prawns with a little salt and pepper and toss to coat. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add your oil. Just when it starts to smoke, add your prawns and give them a quick saute for a minute or two, stirring often. Remove your prawns with a slotted spoon and set aside.
  2. In the same skillet, add your diced tomatoes, scallions and garlic and saute over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Now add your wine and herbs and shrimp and simmer for another 2 minutes while stirring. Turn off the heat and gently fold in the crumbled feta
  3. Cover and allow to rest for 2-3 minutes more.
  4. Garnish with parsley and chives and serve immediately with crusty bread.

© 2008 – 2009, Peter Minakis. All rights reserved. If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://kalofagas.ca then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at truenorth67 AT gmail DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author.

44 Comments to “Prawns Tourkolimano”

1. Meeta says:

Oh my god you are kidding? I grew up in Qatar and my dad worked in a great hotel. On the roof top they had a fine dining restaurant that served this very dish!!! And it was my favorite. Peter you have just sent me down memory lane LOL! Lovely!

2. Farmer Jen says:

This looks delicious. I will try it soon.

Love all the ingredients – it looks lovely. I’ve been to Athens and I know Piraeaus. I want to go back to Greece now!! We have more rain here today in the UK AGAIN!

4. MEDITERRANEAN KIWI says:

perfect saganaki, i wish i were at your place when you made it

5. Dhanggit says:

i havent tried this dish yet, but my oh my..your photos Peter are so tempting..you know what i guess i could call myself a certified greekk food lover too..all your greek posts make me drool :-)

6. Anonymous says:

For many many years (i think never) it isnt called ‘Tourkolimano’. The real name is ‘Mikrolimano’, thats the original and thats the name is been called. Please restore. Over and out.

Is this another version of saganaki?..it sounds quite similar. Still delicious and another fish dish added to your menu.

8. Marianna says:

wow, Peter, believe it or not but I have been going through all your posts that I missed out on as they are just bringing back so many memories of Greece!! Damn, I wish I could be back there right now! And I absolutely love this prawn based dish!

9. Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) says:

Don’t understand why the Italians seem to have a prohibition against shellfish and cheese together. I love cheese and shrimp, and often sneak some parmesan or feta into shrimp/pasta dishes when Italian friends aren’t looking!

10. ΛΑΜΠΡΟΣ (Lambros) says:

Hi Peter !
    Im Lambros from Greece ! How are you my friend? Its being a long time since we have spoken … I just cross by to say hello and see your beautiful site … The prawns look amazing , i have a similar recipe in my blog too.
    Waiting for your news,
    Lambros
    (http://psarotopos.blogspot.com/)

11. StickyGooeyCreamyChewy says:

What a sight to wake up to! This dish looks to die for! I’m already printing it out to make tonight.

Pssst. Don’t spread it around, but some Italians, like me, sometimes mix cheese and fish as well. ;)

Meeta, see…this dish stretches far & wide!

Thanks Jen, look forward to seeing it.

Jan, I reckon you’re already planning your next vacation to Greece!

Anon, up until 1821, this harbour was called Tourkolimano and now Mikrolimano and some folks in Pieaeus still call it Tourkolimano…the name stays.

Pete, it is quite similar, the recipe’s title was Tourkolimano.

Maria…”next year”.;)

Dhanngit, I’ll bring lots of napkins for your drooling.

Marianna, welcome back from Greece! You may take comfort here…until your next visit.

Geia sou Lampro, ola kala and I[m just getting ready for my vacation to Greece. N’ase kala.

Sticky, sometimes the cheese & seafood thing works, like in this dish.

13. Cynthia says:

Your description of the sauce as being lusty really makes one yearn to taste it.

Man, this dish really sets the bar high as an appetizer, heaven help the main course!

14. Kalyn says:

This looks just mouth-watering! What a great sounding recipe.

15. Ben says:

That does look amazing, and reading the instructions it comes together so easily. That pot you used is very pretty. It kinda looks like the ones my grandma used to have. I want one!

I guess I don’t often think of feta & shrimp together but this sounds wonderful!

17. Leslie says:

mint? I never would have thought to put mint in that dish! I bet it is delish!
    I will only let you feed me the strawberries if you bring Champagne!

18. Gloria says:

My favorite sea food is prawns or shrimp, so this look wonderful Peter!!!! xxGloria

19. Fearless Kitchen says:

This looks great. I love the herbal additions!

20. Jeanne says:

It seems that every Mediterranean country has its tomato-based fish stew/soup dish – and I love them all!! This includes both prawns and feta which are two of my absolute favourites, not to mention how easy it is :) A keeper.

21. Cathy C says:

That looks so great – I would also be inclined to pour this yummy dish over pasta to make it a meal in and of itself. (bread on the side of course ;) )

Cheers
    Cathy

22. glamah16 says:

You know the best part of my Greek dinner the other day was an appetizer like this with Shrimp and Feta. Yours looks way more succlent. I love the combination of ingrediants.

I have all these ingredients in my kitchen right now, including Greek feta! I am making this exact dish for dinner tonight. Thaaaaanks Peter!

24. EAT! says:

My mouth is watering!! I make a similar dish but with goat cheese. I may like the salty feta even better.

25. Helen says:

‘A lusty sauce’ – I love that! I adore feta and prawns together, sweet, juicy prawn and salty feta. Perfect.

Cynthia, it would be one appetizer after another…a true Greek table of mezedes.

Kalyn, mighty simple and very delish.

Ben, the vessel is a “saganaki” and a Greek dish with saganaki describes any meal made in the vessel.

Kat, Greeks have been enjoying feta & shrimp combos for ages…it’s not by luck.

Leslie, mint when combined with other herbs is a delight…almost as much as feeding and plying you with champagne. ;)

Gloria, I love Gambas!

Fearless, the herb trio is delightful here.

Jeanne, thats a whole other dish…our Boullaisbaise is called Kakavia.

Cathy, it would work wonderfully on a bed of pasta or rice.

Glam, so your Greek nite wasn’t a total flop…this is a regular on Greek menus.

Lorilynn, enjoy and please do blog about it.

EAT, it might be a little tart with goat’s cheese but to each their own.

Helen, ya cuaght they eh? Well…it’s a sexy dish…slurping and stuff!

27. Marjie says:

Looks like a good dinner to me. Nevermind appetizer!

28. Johnna Knows Good Food: Yum Yum, Gimme Some! says:

Your food always makes me want to just eat my computer screen…lol…

29. Grace says:

so just how big is a slab? because my slab may be larger than the typical slab. i tend to get overzealous with these sorts of things. :) great recipe.

30. Helene says:

I’m back from an Holiday and find these delicious prawns on your site. I could eat that for dinner tonight.

31. annamtl says:

So the grill is getting a break? All kidding aside, both the giouvetsi and the prawns look scrumptious! You will make sinners of us all with your lusty sauces. ;)

32. [eatingclub] vancouver || js says:

Lipsmackingly good! I love prawns and am always looking for other ways to prepare them. This one looks like a keeper.

33. Maya says:

That looks wonderful!!

34. syrie says:

Wow Peter, the prawns look absolutely perfect! Great photos.

35. ΛΑΜΠΡΟΣ (Lambros) says:

Hi Peter !
    I forgot to tell you that my blog from now on is bilingual (Greek – English), so i am waiting your visit (and your friends of course) to help me !!!
    I will appreciate your help there!!!!
    Thanx (Efxaristo)
    Lambros

36. Janulka says:

easy and super tasty! well done!

Bookmarking this!

38. Kim says:

Peter- You weren’t kidding when you said we both were thinking about shrimp for dinner. I think I like your dish better, want to trade?

39. Proud Italian Cook says:

I’m so glad you posted this, I tried making this once after I ordered it in Greek Town, (not the same :( I absolutely love all these flavors together! BTW, Yours looks better then what I ordered, I think its about time you quit your day job, isn’t it??

Marjie, a meal could be made out this with rice or pasta.

Johnna, you might get some weird looks…do it when everyone’s asleep! lol

Grace, I’d say for this recipe… 1/2 to 3/4 cup…depending on how salty YOUR feta is.

Helene, welcome back!

Anna, the grill gets a break in Canada and then I resume in Greece…it’s too hot in the kitchen.

Js, this is a very greek dish, flavourwise.

Thanks Maya.

Hi Syrie and thank you!

Geia sou Lampro…thanks for the notice…I’ll come have a read soon!

Thank you Janulka.

Pam…noted!

Kim, great minds think alike, eh?

Marie, glad I was of assistance…you’ll love this version.

This is a tasty sounding prawn dish. I don’t think I have tried combing prawns ad feta yet.

42. Sam Sotiropoulos says:

Looks good Peter! Essentially a stovetop shortcut version of a shrimp saganaki. Though I still prefer the baked clay vessel version, this would be a decent quick-fix approximation. Bravo.

43. Mark Boxshus "Cookie Doctor" says:

Sounds absolutely delicious and quick as well. I’ll definitely have to give this a go in the near future.